Latest Posts

Favourite Cleansers

By June 19, 2018


Time for another little top three! After a few heavy make-up days this month, at RuPaul's Drag Race: Werq the World Tour and my school prom, I started thinking about what my favourite cleansers are for removing make-up. Obviously, wipes will not feature anywhere in this post because they are the devil in disguise.

Cleansing is the most important part of your morning and evening skincare routine. If you don't properly remove everything that's on your face (make-up, sunscreen, dirt, grime, sweat, oil...) you are preventing every other skincare product from doing its job. If you use a wipe, you are just swirling all of the things listed in the brackets above around your face a bit and then leaving them there. Boke. If you are wearing any make-up or sunscreen, you should be double cleansing every night. With that in mind, the products I've discussed below are the first cleansers I use every night, with the sole purpose of removing everything that's currently on my skin.

I always apply cleanser to dry skin and remove with a hot face cloth. When I say hot, I don't mean scalding - you should be able to rinse your face cloth under the running tap without scalding your fingers. I then cleanse again - more on products for that in a later post.
Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm
This is perhaps my favourite balm cleanser in terms of efficiency and it is brilliant for anyone who has broken out/had a reaction to a balm cleanser in the past. As per the standard for Clinique, this doesn't contain any essential oils or perfume, so it's ideal for even the most sensitive skin. It removes waterproof make-up, doesn't leave any residue behind and you only need a small amount to leave your skin clean and fresh. It starts off fairly solid but melts down into a lovely, silky oil that doesn't dry out your skin in the slightest. It's decent value for money as well - £24 for 125ml.

Emma Hardie Amazing Face Moringa Cleansing Balm
This is the most luscious balm of the lot. I defy anyone to not fall in love instantly with that SMELL. Omg heaven. This product is "must have" in the beauty world and, I promise you, it will not disappoint. I always have this in stock and frequently rejuvenate my supply when M&S have 20% off beauty. It's quite a bit more expensive than TTDO above, at £47 for 100ml. I remember when it was £34 for 100ml! Bit of a shame really, as it's a BRILLIANT cleanser but it's getting to a point where it's priced outside of most budgets. Even I won't buy it now unless I can get a discount code. If you want to give it a try, you can find a travel-sized pot here for the bargain price of £5!
The Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter
Something you quickly learn to ignore when using balm cleansers is that the texture of most of them resembles lard. That aside, this is a particularly good offering from the Body Shop. It's suitable for so many people - if you've got sensitive skin, sensitive eyes (like me), oily or dry skin, this is definitely worth a try. It's only a tenner! What could go wrong. It does feel a bit greasy at first, but you need a bit of grease to massage in and really get rid of all the grime/make-up/whatever. The key thing is, it washes off like a dream.

What are your favourite cleansing balms? There's bound to be some I haven't tried and I'd love to hear about your top picks!

You Might Also Like

0 comments