Latest Posts

Hero Lip Products

By March 03, 2018


From a very young age, I have suffered with nightmare dry and chapped lips. To this day, I will not leave the house without a lip balm. I rarely wear (and only own approximately five) lipsticks - depressingly, they seem to just make a crappy lip-situation crappier.

I understand what many people must think - so what? If that's my only problem... Clearly this is not crucial stuff. But as a girl who loves skincare and make-up, it's a real bummer. So I thought I would share a few of my personal hero products for those who are ailed by eternally cracked, sore lips and dream of the plump, glossy lips they see puckering up in the media. Or if the winter weather has left you looking a little less Kylie Jenner than you would like, give one of these a go. None of these balms are sticky, so no worries about that hair-stuck-to-your-lips horror.



EOS

For a long time, Chapstick was the God of all lip balms. Who hasn't had one of those brightly coloured tubes rolling round in the bottom of your handbag? Katy Perry even gave the cherry version a starring role in her first hit, "I Kissed a Girl". About a decade ago, a new kid burst on the scene - EOS. And they were everywhere. More importantly, they were visible in the hands of the millennial market's favourite celebs: Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, even Taylor Swift. Of course, I had to have it. It's hard to decide whether my favourite thing is the spherical packaging or the range of flavours, but they are all good. More important, of course, are the ingredients - nourishing lovelies such as Shea butter and Jojoba oil. I'm rarely without one! £7.50 for a 7g pot.


Lush - Honey Trap
Lush by name, lush by nature. This little pot is teeny tiny - perfect for a night out, when you know you are short on space in your clutch bag! Honey Trap is thick, soothing and stuffed full of Shea butter, almond oil and extra virgin olive oil. Better yet, it tastes like white chocolate. You will want to eat it! £6.95 for a 12g pot.



REN - Vita Mineral
I stumbled upon this wee gem in TK Maxx of all places and bought it again twice since then. This is the thinnest/runniest balm of all my picks but it's not going to slide off your lips all over your face. It's more like a thick gel. I'm a huge fan of REN products and this has a firmly established place in my lip arsenal. It contains vitamin E from soybean to protect against free radicals and some trace elements from Acacia honey that apparently have antibacterial properties. £10.50 for a 15ml tube.



Glossier - Balm Dotcom
For when you're looking for a certain Clueless edge to your lip balm game - Balm Dotcom in Birthday. Not only is New York Bakery Milk Bar's birthday cake the stuff your wildest 'gram dreams are made of, it's also the inspiration for this lip-smacking, multi-purpose balm. It's got a delightful shimmer to it so it's perfect for when you're after a glossy '90s lip. This is probably my most surprising lip balm find - I knew it would look good, but I didn't expect it to be really hydrating. Castor seed oil keeps moisture locked in and beeswax creates a protective barrier to keep the elements from doing any further harm. The only bad thing about Balm Dotcom (and I'm reaching here) is that it only smells like cake - it doesn't taste like it. Just as well, as I'd probably have eaten the lot. £10 for a 15ml tube.



La Roche-Posay - Cicaplast Baume B5
Rounding up with the big gun. The balm of all balms. The mighty Cicaplast. It contains vitamin B5; a skin saviour proven to heal, hydrate, protect and help regenerate your skin. Now, this does actually come in a "lip balm" size (here) but for practically the same price, you can have the 40ml tube. The ingredients are slightly different but I've used this one on my lips for a few months now and it is bloody brilliant. You could use just a thin layer under a lippy, as it soaks in nice and quickly, but I prefer to slick on a thicker layer when I'm indulging in a face mask. This is the product I turn to when things are looking pretty dire and it turns things around so quickly. Worth noting that it's not just for your lips - you can use it on any dry, cracked or irritated skin, including your baby's bum! £6.50 for a 40ml tube, or £6 for a 7.5ml tube.

Have I missed one of your hero lip products? Let me know!

♡ 

You Might Also Like

0 comments