Latest Posts

Favourite Acid Toners

By January 13, 2018



I didn't properly venture into the wonderful world of skincare until about 5 years ago - I've always been really lucky with my skin and as I entered into my twenties, I was happy with my cleanse/moisturise routine.

Then I discovered Caroline Hirons.

Gone were the days of only properly washing my face at night with Clearasil Cream Cleanser(!) and occasionally dotting on a bit of Simple moisturiser. I quickly converted to Hironsism and have been a dedicated disciple ever since, even managing to convert others on the way.

One of the biggest lessons I've learned from the skincare Goddess is the importance of an acid toner. A quick swipe of an acid-soaked cotton pad post-cleansing (remembering to double cleanse at the end of the day!) helps your skin better adsorb whatever product you put on next, be it a serum or a mask.

I quickly got addicted to the tingle of an acid toner and now I use one every night and sometimes in the morning too. Another great thing about acid toners is that everyone can use one - even if you've got sensitive skin. There are lots of different types and strengths of acid and I recommend you try a few different ones before you decide which ones to commit to your daily skincare arsenal.

After lots of trial and error, I've pretty much permanently incorporated the following acid toners into my routine.



Topping this list as my most recommended acid toner. It is compatible with every skin type due to its alcohol-free, gentle formula. Its also contains loads of aloe vera, the most soothing, calming ingredient ever. If you're looking for a "starter" acid, this is it. This is 5% glycolic, an alpha-hydroxy (AHA) acid that helps to resurface your skin by removing any dead skin cells and also promotes collagen production. You can get it in a 250ml bottle (£18), a travel-friendly 100ml bottle (£10) and a tub of 60 pre-soaked pads (£20). There's another tub of pre-soaked pads with a higher glycolic content that should only be used at night if you're looking for something stronger to really zing your skin. It's 20% acid rather than the 5% found in the rest of the Glow range.



This toner packs a punch, but it still gentle enough to use daily. It contains a combination of AHA acids to unclog your pores, promote a smoother complexion and help prevent signs of aging. Lactic acid is particularly good if your skin feels dehydrated and dry, citric acid helps repair any sun damage, tartaric acid fights those nasty free radicals and REN rounds it all off with a hit of glycolic. At £15 for 150ml bottle, it's brilliant value for money and well-deserving of a place in your skincare regime!




Containing the only type of beta-hydroxy acid (BHA), salicylic acid is ideal if you have any spots or acne. This is because BHA is oil-soluble and can actually get right down into your pore, no matter how clogged up, and kill all the bacteria. Like AHAs, BHA increases the shedding of dead skin cells and helps keep your pores free of dirt and sebum. It's got an unusual smell, not unpleasant, but I quite like it! Like my other two picks, it's really affordable - £18 for 150ml.

What are your favourite acid toners? Do you use any others that I should give a whirl? Let me know!


You Might Also Like

0 comments